Baked Mozzarella and Zucchini Halves
I found this in a German magazine and adapted it to my taste. This is for four, so double or triple accordingly.
Baked Mozzarella-Tomato Zucchini Halves
- 2 zucchini (yellow or green or both)
- 1 Mozzarella ball (don’t ask me where to find this in the States, I just don’t know. You may need to use the harder mozzarella)
- 2 small roma tomatoes
- extra-virgin olive oil
- dried basil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- bottled tomato pesto or green pesto
- salt, pepper to taste
- basil leaves (fresh for garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise in halves. Slice the tomato thinly and the mozzarella ball as well. If you are using the harder block mozzarella cheese, slice thinly as well.
- Heat about a teaspoon of oil in a skillet on high. Braise the zucchini halves on both sides and remove.
- Pour the rest of the oil from the skillet into a lined baking sheet or shallow pan. Place the zucchini on the baking sheet, flat sides up and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella, laying them the length of the zucchini halves. Sprinkle with dried basil and a little more salt and pepper. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle with minced garlic.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until tender…be careful, ovens vary!
- Remove the zucchini and arrange on a plate. Drizzle pesto over the zucchini haves and garnish with fresh basil leaves.