This is a recipe that I came up with after trying many different recipes of pumpkin soup. It’s a lighter flavor due to the broth and cream mixed in.
Delicate Pumpkin Soup
- 2 apples, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 pounds of pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt (approx. 1 teaspoon)
- pepper (approx. 1/4 teaspoon)
- 2 Tablespoons ground ginger
- a few cilantro or parsley leaves
- 6 cups of vegetable broth (can be from bouillon)
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups of light cream
- OPTIONAL: handful of toasted pumpkin seeds and pumpkin oil
1. Heat the oil in a large pot and saute the onion, apples and potatoes for a couple of minutes, not enough to brown. Add the pumpkin, salt, pepper, ginger, (red pepper), cilantro, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
2. In parts, puree the soup mixture in a blender. Fill the blender to the allowed level and after the mixture is pureed, pour it into a large mixing bowl. Continue until all the soup is blended, removing the small fragments in the bottom of the large pot. At this point you can pour the soup back into the large pot or into a soup tureen.
3. Add the cream and stir, garnishing with a few more cilantro leaves and/or chopped toasted pumpkin seeds and/or a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil
Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound lean ground meat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbl. canola oil
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbl. dried oregano
- 1 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery (opt)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 small can corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown meat with onion and garlic in the oil in a large pot on the stove on medium-high til meat is cooked through and onions are clear.
- Add broth, bay leaf, oregano, tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add carrots, celery and potatoes and simmer, covered, for about 15-20 minutes until vegetables are just tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes more.